Merdeka lawsuit in UK August 30, 2007Posted by elizabethwong in Current Affairs, Event, Huh?!, Human Rights, International, Malaysia, Politics, Race Relations.
By the time we clock off from work today to join the Merdeka celebrations, a Malaysian, Waytha Moorthy, who leads the Hindu Rights Action Front (HINDRAF), will be filing a public interest lawsuit at the English courts, asking the British government, among other things, 100 billion sterling pounds for “crimes against minorities”.
He is also claiming for:-
1. Damages of one million pounds per Indian in Malaysia for atrocities by the British and the ‘Malay Muslim’ government;
2. The British government to refer the Malaysian government to the International Court of Justice and the International Criminal Court for human rights violations and “mini genocide” against minority Indians;
3. Two million minority Indians in Malaysia to be granted British citizenship
4. The courts to declare that Malaysia is not an Islamic state
5. Tthe courts to declare that the Malaysian Constitution is null and void.
If the British court doesn’t throw this out on the basis of jurisdiction and friviality, this will be a very interesting case to watch.
The full text of the writ is available here.