Siva, Sim continue to protect source October 11, 2007Posted by elizabethwong in Current Affairs, Democracy, Human Rights, Malaysia, Note2Self, Politics.
Tags: ACA, Fairuz, Lingam, Nazri Aziz, R Sivarasa, TT Sim, Videotape
The two men were at the ACA office (opposite Dayabumi) for almost 2 hours, with their lawyers William Leong and Amer Hamzah, and firmly
showed the finger told the ACA that they would continue to protect their source.
“Until the whistleblowers authorise us to reveal their identities, we will honour our promise to protect them,” he (Sivarasa) added. (Malaysiakini)
Sivarasa said the ACA was, in fact, abusing their powers in their zeal to go after the source, and that authenticity should be a technical matter.
He raised an additional matter on the role of the ACA in the Lingam-Fairuz Videotape saga vis-a-vis the ‘Independent’ Panel and the government,
“(De facto law minister) Nazri Abdul Aziz said the ACA is assisting the panel but under the 1997 Act, the ACA cannot disclose their information to anybody.
“This raises doubts and questions as to what information the ACA has. Also, what is Nazri trying to say? (Malaysiakini)
The two were last seen walking off as free men – for now.
Another news report today on Malaysiakini, quoted former Sabah ACA chief Mohamad Ramli Abdul Manan who added,
“The tape is merely to support the evidence. The main evidence would come from the person saying those words on the video so in this case, the ACA must be investigating Lingam, not the PKR members” he said.
Get that through your thick ACA heads.
Present also were Eric Paulsen and Latheefa Koya from the Steering Committee to Free the Judiciary Coalition, a multi-NGO, multi-party coalition advocating for a Royal Commission of Inquiry and independence of the judiciary.
Will post Sivarasa’s official statement after this.
Random, side, inconsequential observations (thanks to my medication and the happy season):-
- Eric Paulsen’s infamous oily hair has become refined, layered and wispy.
- Latheefa Koya’s car is a mobile library of bundles, documents and magazines. But am pleased to report, no leftover food containers, dead cats or roaches.
- Why oh why do party hacks never look hot when they need to? C’mon, there’s like 20+ reporters, cameras, tv crew. This is your PR moment, and you wore that?
- I just found out Amer Hamzah’s from Ipoh. That’s why his tie is fantastic and he rocks 🙂
- If TT Sim dishes out his silly analogy about ‘the invisible rope around our necks’ one more time, I swear I will pull it myself. Hard.