Selangor ready with offers for water players February 13, 2009Posted by elizabethwong in Current Affairs, Economy, Malaysia.
Tags: Gamuda, Puncak Niaga, Selangor, Syabas, water
SELANGOR READY WITH OFFERS FOR WATER PLAYERS
By Yong Min Wei, The Edge Daily
In a move to prevent a tariff hike and takeover of water assets by the federal government, the Selangor state government is ready to make formal takeover offers to the four water concessionaires in the state.
According to a statement yesterday, the state executive council (exco) has agreed to issue an offer letter within two days to the four concessionaires — Konsortium ABASS Sdn Bhd, Puncak Niaga (M) Sdn Bhd, Syarikat Pengeluar Air Selangor Holdings Bhd (Splash) and Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor (Syabas).
Puncak Niaga and Syabas are controlled by Puncak Niaga Holdings Bhd which is listed. ABASS is controlled by Kumpulan Perangsang Selangor Bhd (KPS) while Gamuda is among the shareholders of Splash.
The state government came up with the valuation six months after embarking on a study of a restructuring scheme of all water assets in the state.
“It must be emphasised that the state government, through a special panel formed to study the restructuring process for the Selangor water industry, has made a detailed study into the valuation of all the assets and equities of the companies concerned,” said the statement issued by the media secretariat of the Menteri Besar’s Office.
“The state government feels that the offer to be made to all the concessionaires is fair and took into account the interest of all parties. No party would lose out from the offer. In fact, the profit rate given to the concessionaires is quite reasonable,” the statement added.
The state government said it wanted to ensure that the restructuring exercise would be smoothly implemented with the aim of bringing maximum benefit to its citizens.
“The main priority is to make the best decision in the name of public interest,” the state government pointed out.
It hoped that all parties would agree to the offer so that their restructuring process could be implemented before March 31, as ordered by the Ministry of Energy, Water and Communications.
It also said everyone’s cooperation could help prevent a water tariff hike which would surely be a burden to the public, especially during this time of economic hardship.
Last week, Menteri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim confirmed that he had asked Energy, Water and Communications Minister Datuk Shahziman Abu Mansor to terminate Syabas’ 30-year Selangor water concession agreement as the water distributor had allegedly violated the terms of the concession agreement.
The agreement, from Jan 1, 2005 to Dec 31, 2034, was signed between the federal government, the Selangor government and Syabas. Puncak Niaga has 70% equity in Syabas while the remaining 30% is held by Kumpulan Darul Ehsan Bhd (KDEB).
In an earlier report, Shahziman said the Selangor water service assets were worth RM5.5 billion and included main pipes, water treatment plants and water catchment areas. The assets belonged to the Selangor government and the four water concessionaires concerned, he said.
The minister noted that consumers in Selangor risked paying 37% higher water tariff should the state government fail to hand over its water service assets to Pengurusan Aset Air Bhd (PAAB) by March.
According to the plan, PAAB would take over the assets and lease them back to the concessionaires who would operate the assets.
The handing over by Selangor to PAAB, which is under the Finance Ministry, was aimed at reducing the financial burden of water management in Selangor, which also supplies water to Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya.
As the restructuring of the water assets involves the people, the statement said that the Mentri Besar’s office would hold a briefing for the public so that they understand the issues at hand which required detailed analyses.
Dengue Hotspots in Selangor January 30, 2009Posted by elizabethwong in "We can do better", Note2Self.
Tags: dengue, health, mosquito, public service announcement, Selangor
(According to districts)
Petaling (Flat A and Flat C Section 7, Terrace A Section 7, Terrace A and Terrace B Section 18, Section U3 Subang Perdana and Section U10 Puncak Perdana);
Kajang (Taman Kajang Perdana, Taman Semenyih Indah, Taman Koperasi Cuepacs Batu 12, Taman Cheras Jaya, Taman Industri Mega, Taman Sri Jelok, Taman Zamrud, Taman Kajang Baru, Taman Kajang Jaya, Section 2 Bandar Sri Putra, Section 2 Bandar Rinching, Zone 1 Taman Sepakat Indah, Zone 1 Section 8 Bandar Baru Bangi, Zon 3 Section 16 Bandar Baru Bangi, Zone 5 Section 16 Bandar Baru Bangi and Zone 4 Taman Bukit Mewah);
Shah Alam (Perdana Apartments Section 13, Flat 18/3 (Eps 2), PKNS Flats Section 20, Section 6 flats, Padang Jawa B, Padang Jawa C, Pangsapuri Anggerik Section 16, Section 10, Section 11, Taman Alam Indah Section 33, Terrace A Section 25, Terrace C Section 27, Terrace A Section 25 and Terrace A Section 8);
Gombak (Bandar Baru Selayang F2, Kampung Laksamana, Taman Pinggiran Batu Caves Z2, Taman Samudera Timur and Taman Sri Gombak Zone 3);
Subang Jaya (Taman Puchong Perdana and Taman Serdang Perdana);
Hulu Selangor (Bandar Baru Batang Kali);
Hulu Langat (Kampung Sg Kantan Kajang and Kajang Prison quarters); and
Sepang (Taman Seroja Zone A).
The overall number of dengue cases recorded from 1 to 25 Jan: 4,521 cases and 13 deaths.
Xin nian kuai le | Happy Chinese ‘Niu’ Year! January 27, 2009Posted by elizabethwong in Event.
Tags: Bukit Lanjan, Bull, Chinese New Year, CNY, Selangor, Subang, xin nian kuai lek
(Top: Bukit Lanjan state assembly / Subang Parliament CNY card)
Thank you all for a great year of the Rat; here’s wishing a ‘moo’valous year ahead for everyone!
Gabfest 2008 December 22, 2008Posted by elizabethwong in "We can do better", Current Affairs, Democracy, Huh?!, Malaysia, Politics.
Tags: Bukit Antarabangsa, CPO, Hudud, landslide, MCA, Selangor
The end of the year is fast approaching. It appears that politicians and all their ilk can’t stop gabbing, hoping to hang on to the ebbing twilight of 2008.
“The Sultan is disappointed with the actions by some irresponsible people for exploiting children in their campaigns or demonstrations.
He has expressed concern on the matter and wants the police to take stern action against those involved,” Khalid told reporters here today. (Malaysia Today)
At the start of every Exco meeting, the MB would relay to us some pertinent points raised during his weekly tete-a-tete with HRH Sultan of Selangor.
Last Wednesday, the issue of Jerit was brought up. We were informed that HRH was concerned, and advised us if possible, not to involve children.
Not once was the issue of punitive action brought up. There was no laying down ‘the law’ or that there must be punishment etc. From our extremely limited dealings with HRH, the impression given was that he was for reasonableness, not one hell-bent on punishing this or that person.
PKR and DAP should make their stand on PAS’ goal to implement hudud law should the Pakatan Rakyat win in a general election, MCA Youth Chief Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong said.
“Other political parties in the Pakatan Rakyat should announce publicly whether they agree with PAS on the implementation of hudud law,” he said. (Malaysia Today)
If Wee bothered to do his study before blabbing, he would know PKR’s and DAP’s positions are not for Hudud, and that Wee’s own party MCA hid in the corner nibbling on some stale cheese when UMNO via Dr. Mahathir declared Malaysia an Islamic state.
Case 3:- (This one took the cake and made me choke on my Pho Bo!)
“When the state is governed by another party, then there is a difficulty in the chain of command.
“Who is in charge and where do staff of the Public Works Department or the police get their orders from?” he (Datuk Nazri Aziz, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Dpt) asked. (The Star)
There is a set SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) when it comes to disaster response. Surely you should know the answer to this. In fact, this was the first set of documents all Exco received when we entered the Selangor state office.
Question is: Was the SOP followed during Bukit Antarabangsa? Why was there so much wrangling over whether to give us the information or not? Why must emergency situations be politicised? (See also Perak’s response)
Perhaps in the past, it was easy for UMNO/BN Federal government to make life difficult for the one lone Opposition state i.e. Kelantan.
Well, that was then, this is now.
Time to grow up UMNO. Start operating like a government, not some partisan-centric-frog-under-coconut-shell party. Get over it, or get out public office, please.
(Signing off from Hoi An :D)
Tags: Gerakan, Land, Lim Keng Yaik, Mess, Nik Mohd Zain, Selangor, Tan Kwee Kwong
Er… Najib tells Tan Kee Kwong to resign from his party.
I didn’t realise he was a member or advisor of Gerakan?
On Wednesday’s state exco meeting, I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Tan Kee Kwong and Dr Nik Mohd Zain Nik Mohd Yusof who will head the Selangor Task Force on Land Management. One could tell they were decent, capable people ready to take on this unenviable job. They spoke succinctly, with calm soft tones during their introduction to us. I like them already.
Not surprisingly, the media zeroed in on the fact that Dr. Tan is a member of Gerakan, though it should not even be of any consequence, as oppose to the dire need for sorting out land matters in Selangor. The issue at hand is the mess that is of the state’s land management, not partisan politics. Both men are capable in handling the task force. Why not?
So, here’s hoping the advisor of Gerakan won’t ‘sai how sui’ and go pffstff pffftsss ffftss…😀
FT Gerakan Chief Confirms Taking Up Pakatan Rakyat’s Offer
By Alan Ting
KUALA LUMPUR, May 28 (Bernama) — Federal Territory Gerakan chief Datuk Dr Tan Kee Kwong Wednesday confirmed that he has accepted an offer from the Pakatan Rakyat (PR) controlled Selangor government to head a special task force on land management.
Tan, 61, a former deputy minister, has followed the example of former Gerakan deputy secretary-general Datuk Lee Kah Choon, who accepted the PR Penang government’s offer to head two key state agencies – InvestPenang and Penang Development Corporation.
“Yes, I have taken up the offer to be joint chairman of the six-member task force.
I’m thankful to the Selangor Government for the trust they have placed in me and to tap on my experience in dealing with land matters.
“A lot of things need to be done and we have been given three months to come out with a report to the Selangor government on the matter of land titles,” he told Bernama when contacted late Wednesday night.
Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim Wednesday evening announced the formation of the task force comprising six members to be jointly chaired by Tan and Datuk Dr Nik Mohd Zain Nik Mohd Yusof.
Tan was deputy land and cooperative development minister from 1999 to 2004 while Mohd Zain had been the ministry’s director-general from 1996 to 2002.
Asked why he decided to accept the offer, Dr Tan said: “As you know, I have always been seen as the “thorn in the flesh” or “trouble maker in the party”.
“I have tried to do something for Gerakan but have always been regarded as the person who went against the system. I’m already 61 years old now and I’m pleased that Tan Sri Khalid appreciates my past experience. My party does not appreciate me,” he added.
Asked whether he would resign from Gerakan, Dr Tan said: “Let the party leaders see the news Thursday and I will wait to see what they are going to do”.
Meanwhile, Gerakan secretary-general Datuk Seri Chia Kwang Chye, when contacted, said the party would like to hear from Dr Tan himself on his decision to accept the Selangor government offer before making any statement.
“Until then, that is my comment. Until now, we have not received any notification from him,” he said.
Live webcast: Selangor state assembly from Wednesday May 20, 2008Posted by elizabethwong in Current Affairs, Democracy, Malaysia, Politics.
Tags: DUN, Selangor
In the interest of transparency and good governance, the sitting of the Selangor state assembly will be Live webcast-ed at http://www.selangor.gov.my starting Wednesday.
Not just the first half hour (that’s just warm up), but available in its entirety😀
What in store?
Balkis, abandoned projects, land scam from previous regime, Teng Chang Khim in full Speaker regalia, Khir Toyo not looking too happy (jeng, jeng, jeng!) etc.
Enjoy the fireworks!
(Schedule will be posted later today)
Wednesday (approx 9 am – 10 am) – Sessions adjourns for the day after the Royal Address from the Sultan of Selangor
Thursday: 10 – 11 am Question Time; 11-12.30 pm Debate on the Royal Address; 12:30-2.30 pm Lunch; 2.30-4 pm Debate continutes
Friday: 10 – 11 am Question Time; 11-12.30 pm Debate continues; 12:30 pm Session adjourns til Monday.
Monday: As Thursday.
In addition, there will be a motion moved by Pakatan Rakyat backbencher Lau Weng San calling for the release of Manoharan (Kota Alam Shah) and all other ISA detainees.
The paper trail vanishes March 18, 2008Posted by elizabethwong in "We can do better", Current Affairs, Democracy, Human Rights, Malaysia, Politics.
Tags: ADUN, Exco, Kedah, Penang, Selangor
C’mon guys. All paperwork, even of MPs and ADUNs (state assemblymen), should be transferred over and there should be a proper transition. Like when an office has new staff coming in or after a company takeover. How about itsy-bit of professionalism here?
Here’s hoping that the incoming Selangor exco won’t be facing the same problems. Does it mean no paperwork = no proof = contract/agreements null and void? Wow, a clean slate😀
Kedah official papers missing
Monday, 17 March 2008All documents from the offices of the Mentri Besar and executive councillors in Kedah have gone missing.
The PAS-led government which took office after 12th general election on March 8 will lodge a police report based on the findings of an internal investigation.
Mentri Besar Azizan Abdul Razak has appointed state executive councillor Phahrolrazi Zawawi to investigate the case of the missing documents.
“Phahrolrazi will investigate what happened.
“I do not want to accuse people without proof,” said Azizan who found that the Mentri Besar’s office was void of documents after the swearing-in ceremony last Sunday.
The newly appointed executive councillors, who were sworn in on Wednesday, found out the next day that their offices were also empty.
“There is not a single paper left in all the offices. We view this very seriously because the documents belong to the executive council, not to any individual,” said Phahrolrazi.
He said most of the documents were classified.
“We are questioning the government officers on duty. No one has a right to transfer the documents without permission,” he said.
Phahrolrazi said the former executive councillors did not have the right to enter the offices without permission.
“We need the minutes of the meetings to check the progress of projects and other matters that were discussed at the executive council meetings,” he said. – THE STAR
Penang excos start work in ‘bare’ offices
Bernard Cheah and Opalyn Mok
PENANG (March 17, 2008): The new state executive councillors (excos) started their first week in office to govern with a clean sheet, literally.
They found their offices cleared of all government documents and minutes of the previous Barisan Nasional (BN) government. All records of projects, completed or current, approved by the previous government are missing.
Health, Welfare and Caring Society Committee chairman Phee Boon Poh said: “The action taken by the previous excos have hindered our work.”
“They (the previous exco) claim the documents are ‘personal property’ and cleared the offices,” he told reporters.
The new line-up would have to get copies of the documents from the state secretary’s office.
“We have the resources to track down these documents. They (state secretary office) would still have copies of whatever ‘approval’ documents. If the documents are not approved yet, they still have to come back to the exco for approval,” he said.
Public Works, Utilities and Transport Committee chairman Lim Hock Seng said “we have to start from scratch”.
“We will have to go and get copies from various department heads on previous projects,” he said.
Phee said the previous exco members did not follow the conduct of former Chief Minister Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon who has been a gentleman all the way.
“If they (the previous exco) really loved the people, they should not have used such obstructions to try and stop us,” said Phee.
In Alor Star, the PAS-led Kedah government also found all documents in the offices of the Mentri Besar and excos missing when they took office after the 12th General Election on March 8.
Mentri Besar Azizan Abdul Razak has appointed state executive councillor Phahrolrazi Zawawi to probe the case of “missing government documents”.
He also said a police report will be lodged after the “internal probe”. – THE SUN
What are they trying to hide? March 12, 2008Posted by elizabethwong in "We can do better", Current Affairs, Democracy, Economy, Malaysia, Politics.
Tags: Khir Toyo, Selangor
Fortunately, some members of the media caught this on camera.
Unfortunately, we can’t march right in to stop them because (i) we haven’t been sworn in; (ii) police has cordoned off the state office since Saturday night.
Incommunicado March 11, 2008Posted by elizabethwong in Current Affairs, Democracy, Malaysia, Politics.
Tags: GE12, PRU12, Selangor
I shall be incommunicado until the swearing-in ceremony. Please bear with the radio-silence until the dust clears.
I’m told there are pics in the Chinese papers Monday evening edition of a Selangor state offices where there’s evidence of burnt documents (I have no access to those pics at this point in time – if you have the link, please ping the link here). In one of the offices, we were informed that papers were mockingly torn in front of our supporters.
Nope it’s not over yet. Someone else still harbours ambitions of being Chief Minister again.
Now for a little fact to whet one’s appetite.
The Semanjung (Peninsular) Malaysia votes for KeADILan-DAP-PAS was
51.79% 50.21% (initial mistake was due to total lack of sleep) compared to BN’s 49.79%.
This means the once thought to be impenetrable monolithic BN does not command the majority of votes here!!! It was only saved by Sabah and Sarawak.
(GE12) PKR reps in a rush to get down to work March 11, 2008Posted by elizabethwong in "We can do better", Current Affairs, Democracy, Malaysia, Politics.
Tags: Bukit Lanjan, GE12, KeADILan, PRU12, Selangor
(Malaysiakini) A real carnival atmosphere was evident at PKR’s de facto Anwar Ibrahim’s house in Segambut last night. The reason was obvious – the party has had its best ever results in a general election, winning 31 parliamentary and 40 state seats.
The manner in which the party’s new Yang Berhormats patted each other on the back and shook hands, it was evident that this was a significant achievement for the party.
More interestingly, they had achieved this as a single party with three different races fighting on issues for everyone instead of their own communities.